12.02.2008

Time for an Update. . .
We are so relieved and thankful to be approaching the 37th week without any further signs of pre-term labor. Today my OB said that I'll probably make it another week. She then sent me over to the ultra-sound ladies who checked Clara's growth. I was so excited about getting a 3-D shot of her, but the little stinker did not cooperate. She is weighing in at a whopping 5 lbs. 7 oz.
/
After my appointment, I met Alex for some soup and salad at the Olive Garden.... mmmm. We were having a lovely time until I started feeling some major braxton-hicks contractions and the room started spinning. Check please! Olivia was born the day after an Olive Garden date... so you might want to keep your eye on my facebook status over the next few days. Wishful thinking.
/
I feel like a ticking time-bomb right now. That's how it goes for me. No talk of inducement (is that a word?), no scheduled C-section, just ye ol' fashioned wait. it. out. I have this nagging feeling that when the time comes, it is going to go fast, and it isn't very comforting that my OB agrees with me on that point. My greatest fear is that I won't make it in time for the epidural fairy to find my room. When I think of having a baby without pain intervention, I imagine the scene from Gone with the Wind where Scarlett O'Hara happens upon the room where the soldier is getting his leg sawed off. Maybe that's my problem.

11 comments:

The Barkers said...

It IS possible to deliver without pain meds. I promise. I'm living proof. :-) It goes fast and the pain is temporary. :-) It doesn't hurt when pushing. The pain really hits when the head crowns and then its just a few more pushes. I've delivered both ways, once with epidural and once without. I'd choose the natural way again anyday. The recovery is so much nicer without.
I hope you make it another week. Every day is a plus for that little ones groweth!

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Thanks Sarah! I need to hear these things because it helps me prepare mentally just in case. Sometimes I want to kick myself because I would probably be an ideal person to not get pain meds because I dialate so quickly and with very moderate contractions. It's just getting past that fear of traumatic pain...

Sarah said...

You know you're going to share your birthday, right? Just my guess... or maybe you can just hang out at the hospital :)

Ben and Carissa said...

A ticking time bomb! I remember that feeling - Literally! My water broke with all 3 of my kids and I was thankful to be HOME with the 2 gushers. With Ethan my water broke at church (while I was sitting on a college Q&A panel for the youth group) Thank the Lord I got the "cork" effect and did not spill all over in front of teens!! I always kind of liked knowing that at any second I could blow! Kind of exciting - but annoying! Child birth is one of those things that you have NO control of! Not when, where, how, NOTHING! So aggrivating for a planner! I'll be watching for some great news! This all makes me want to do it again...did I just say that!? Poke me in the eye!!

Tricia said...

Some more encouragement for you Leah...I delivered all three without epidural and it was NOTHING like having your leg sawn off. =) I too have quick labors and wouldn't do it any other way. Will be praying for you!

Gran&Grampy said...

I don't seem to have your email address, so figured this was a way I could wish you happy 30th birthday! (I hope Clara chooses to have a birthday of her own). Love and prayers from Meg's Gran.

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Thanks so much! Unless she comes in the next 4 hours... I think she will certainly have a birthday of her own. Maybe she will share a birthday with Papa =)

Erin Neiner said...

Any MOTION IN THE OCEAN??? I keep checking to see if there's a "We're OFF" post...hope you're well. I want to try to talk before you "go." :}

Liesl said...

i had staidol (sp?) with cana and that took the edge off, just as she was born--no time for the epidural. the staidol really helped, though!

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Liesl, someone mentioned that one to me recently... will ask about it =)

Erin... no motion in the ocean! Uggh. Both AJ AND Olivia came between 37 and 38 weeks, so hopefully we'll see a little more action this week.

Karis said...

I feel just like you about the epidurals. If I had another one, I would really, really be hoping for an epidural because I had two wonderful epidural experiences. I know they're not all like that, but pain free labor and delivery after the epidural -- it was such a fun experience. It's so interesting to me that people say the recovery is so much nicer without an epidural because I can't imagine my recovery being any easier. It's great to hear encouraging words from those who have done it the "real" way. I admire those mamas.