10.28.2007

We had a great Sunday! 54 people attended the morning service, and so now we have a new record! While our focus and security isn't in "numbers", we do thank the Lord for this number because it represents lives being touched and changed for His glory!
=
I was especially excited to see Manuela, a single mom of 4 little ones. A few months ago, I spotted her across the produce section in Wal-Mart. Whenever I go to Wal-Mart, I have been trying to make the most of the trip by taking some church brochures and passing them out when the opportunity presents itself. It is one way that I can be involved in outreach while I go about my daily routines with my littles in tow :) When I saw Manuela, I felt impressed to talk to her and invite her to our church. I am not a fluent Spanish speaker, so striking up conversations with folks is more of a deliberate act of obedience rather than my glittering outgoing personality on parade :) I was simply drawn to her, so I made my way over to her cart and invited her to church. She was so friendly, and for the first time.... ever..... I actually felt like I spoke Spanish! God gave grace. Ever since that encounter, I have waited and waited for her to come. A few weeks ago, my husband came home from the Harvest Free Medical Clinic where he volunteers, and told me that a young mom came in that day. He pulled out a brochure and invited her to church. She looked at it told him that his wife had already invited her :) It was Manuela! Today she came, and my heart is full. God is enough. He can take our crude and pathetic attempts to serve Him, and actually make something happen!

Olivia was debriefing me on her Sunday School lesson today. She showed me her little story card that they send home with the kids, and told me that God gave bananas to the people. Hmmm... manna/bananna... maybe she'll get it next time around.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Your Miss Olivia is so very dear and smart. That is one you need to write down in her baby book :)

Wow, great story of God blessing obedience. I have such a hard time with inviting people to church and talking to strangers about Christ. I am learning so much about it not being me (this I should have learned a long time ago, I know!). God is just inviting me to participate in his work He is doing.

Bravo and thanks for the encouragement!

Liesl said...

hurrah for the number 54! listen, i know exactly how you feel, exactly! lukus and i come home from church and scribble names on a napkin with numbers next to them and then look at each other like, "wow--we had 85 people at church today...do you remember the Sunday night we had 3?" God is good! and i have my stakeouts at walmart, too! right now, i'm praying for BETSY.

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Monica- Olivia never ceases to crack me up! She is such a talker...makes me wonder how much she is going to talk when the other 90% of her vocab kicks in :) You are exactly right when you say "participate in the work He is doing" dittos! I have to constantly remind myself that He is already working.

Liesl... I will pray for Betsy! Whew.. it's good to know we aren't the only ones counting our fingers and toes after church on sundays :)