10.26.2007

A Toddler's Rules of Possession

1. If I like it, it's mine.
2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5. If it's mine, it must NEVER appear to be yours in anyway.
6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks just like mine, it is mine.
8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
10. If it's broken, it's yours.

(Original author: unknown)

Now that the record is straight... Let's Play!!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That just made me chuckle thinking about my teaching preschool experience - you pretty much covered them all I think. :) Hope you have a great Saturday.

Kristin Igel

Karis said...

Oh too true! Kayla is a very intense, spirited child so she has been known at the park to say, "That's my slide" because she had just gone down it and didn't want anyone else to go down "her" slide. One time we were at a pool, and she said, "My pool." No community spirit for my two year old.

In the nursery, I'm told she gets possessive too -- "If I've ever played with it or looked at it before at church, it's mine."

On the other hand, she can be very sweet and share so nicely at times (if she feels like it) -- split personality?

Seeing it spilled out like that brought a smile to my face!

Erin Neiner said...

This is so clever!!! I thought for sure your creative little self came up with it!! I love your pics to go with it!!!! :)

Beth said...

It's amazing that the first born learns this around 2 in the nursery or w/ friends, but when the next kid(s) come along "mine" is basically their first word! ha!