5.01.2007

Birthday Update

The Birthday Bash
Olivia's 2nd birthday has come and gone and I'm pooped!
We had a Happy Meal picnic at the playground with one of her little friends.
Even little AJ was enthusiastic about his sister's big day!
I made Stromboli with marinara sauce.
The best moment came when Olivia sat across the table from me and said "ish GOOT!" (trans. it's good!)
Lately, Olivia's new favorite dessert has been strawberries and queen (cream), so she got a Strawberry "Queen" Cake this year.

Birthday toys are so much better when Daddy plays with you!


Enjoying a little birthday batter

The Spread

Stromboli: Roll out Pizza Dough to about the size of a 13x9 pan. Cover with 2 c. mozzarella cheese, purple onion (about 1/2 cup, chopped), green pepper (about 1/2 c chopped), cooked italian sausage (I use 2-3 links-remove the casings and crumble and brown-- then freeze the rest), and pepperoni. Roll up long side and pinch edges. Slather with beaten egg (until covered-- you won't use the whole egg). Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a marinara sauce. MMMMM!

Strawberry Queen Cake: Bake a Golden Vanilla cake, and cover with strawberries, strawberry glaze, and REAL WHIPPED CREAM. It is worth the extra effort (in my opinion) to beat the heavy whipping cream instead of using cool whip.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Stromboli recipe...I was just watching it last night on the Food Network (new channel at the complex - YEAH!!) and it looks SO yummy, but didn't have the recipe. Thanks to my mommy homemaker I have it now!! :) Thanks dear! Give that little Tookers a BIG kiss from Auntie! Love ya!

Rebecca M. said...

It looks like you had a sweet time of family fellowship. Happy Birthday Olivia!

Tfipps said...

That stromboli looks yum-o! Another version I have made is to mix olive oil, chopped onions, minced garlic and oregano, then spread it on the dough. Top it with monterrey jack cheese and ham, and seal it up. Sprinkle extra oregano on top. One of our faves. As to your comment on my blog...it is almost done. I am still waiting on someone else who lives in my house to finish a couple more things for the room...that famous honey-do list. I will post pictures as soon as it is done. I am really excited with how it is looking so far.

Erin Neiner said...

HaPpY bIrThDaY, oLiViA!!!!!

WOW~~~2 already! She is growing up so quickly... I do have to meet your kiddos before it is too late! :)

Way to go, MOM, for putting out the spread. Stromboli is so delic...but takes some extra effort!! The cake sounds great! We have a strawberry patch down the road you can pick at...I'll keep this recipe handy when we go this year!