2.22.2007

Week in Review (Part 1)

We had a wonderful week in Alabama. The purpose of the trip was two-fold: 1. Participate in my cousin Jon's wedding and 2. Show off the babies.
=
Before I get around to posting pictures of the weekend, I cannot resist showing off our little Valentine. I'm all about making special days special, but with a big trip to the homeland looming around the corner, this mamma had to keep things simple this Valentine's Day. No heart-shaped pancakes or rosy red love parfaits here. We started the day with chocolate chip mini-muffins courtesy of Martha White :) I did accidentally discover that using buttermilk (that's all we had since I didn't want to have milk in the fridge just before a big trip) makes those "just add milk" muffin packets far moister (is that a word?) than regular milk .
=
Olivia and I (mostly I) made cupcakes to go pass out to the staff and friends at church. She helped with the sprinkles. Cupcakes are somewhat nostalgic for me because they remind me of all those Valentine's class parties of yester-year. The strawberry frosted ones with sprinkles were always my favorite.
=
Daddy bought a "boon" for Olivia. She loved it so much! It actually travelled with us to Alabama and is still floating above my head as I write this post.
=
Finally, what says "I Love You" like fish tacos? That is one of my husband's favorites, so I made it for him that evening. I know it doesn't sound too appetizing, but they are pretty delicious (if you like fish to begin with). Just bake up some Gordon's Breaded Fish Filets and serve them on a warm corn tortilla with shredded cabbage (get the angel-hair pre-shredded for coleslaw package), a delicious pico, avocado, lime wedges, and a touch of mayo. It is a very nice combination of flavors.
=
Maybe next year I'll light a candle or two, but at least the day wasn't completely lost under a pile of suitcases. Dad got dinner, mom got roses, AJ got lots of kisses, and Olivia got her "boon".

Olivia, Lamby, and her "boon"


Helping with the sprinkles for daddy's cake

0 comments: