1.03.2007

A Lesson from Amma's Nursery



The following is an excerpt from the book:
Amy Carmichael of Dohnavur.

[Amma writes] It was the hour between lights, and five little people under two years old were waiting for their food. Sometimes the cows belonging to the adjoining village from which part of our milk comes saunter home with more than their usual leisureliness, and then the milk is late.
The babies. . . were all very fractious. To add to their woes, the boy whose duty it is to light the lamps had been detained, and the quickly gathering twilight fell upon us unawares as we sat together on the nursery veranda. The five fretful babies made discouraging remarks to each other and threw themselves about in that exasperated fashion which tells the experienced that the limits of patience have been passed. And the more depressed began to whimper. At this point a lamp was brought and set behind me so that its light fell upon their toys-- a china head long since parted from its body, a tin with small stones in it which when shaken makes a charming noise, several rattles and other sundries. If anything will comfort them their toys will, I thought, and these illuminated treasures caught my attention. But the babies only looked disgusted. . . Then I took the lamp and set it in front so that its light did not fall upon the toys but upon myself, and in a moment the whole five were tumbling over me, cuddling and caressing -- and content.
Are there not evenings in life when our toys have no power to please or soothe? There is not any rest in them or any comfort. Then the One whom we love best takes the lamp and puts it so that the toys are in the shadow, but His face is in the light. And then we know that that is what we wanted all the time. And He makes His Face to shine upon us and gives us peace.

4 comments:

Erin Neiner said...

What a wonderful excerpt...are you reading that book? It reminds me of a time at Northland I was heading up campus from the trailers climbing up the hill. As I came to the top the sun peaked over and shone right in my eyes. I was a bit annoyed because all of a sudden I couldn't see anything, the sun was so brightly glaring it momentarily blinded me. But later that day we sang the song "Turn your eyes upon Jesus" came alive. This phrase was fleshed out by my earlier experience: "...Look full in His wonderful face, and the things on earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace." That is exactly what happened to me. When my eyes were fixed on the "sun" all around was dim. That is something I am reminded of to this day when singing that song !!!

Jenny said...

I came to comment and tell you thank you, Leah! Then I read Erin's comment and so now I thank you both. Our youth pastor spoke from Ephesians 3:14-20 last night, reminding me to know the love of God - that truth has been underlined here. Thanks, guys! What an encouragement!!!

Liesl said...

beautiful!-- both leah's excerpt and erin's comment

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Thank you for sharing that, Erin! I was hoping that excerpt would encourage others as it encouraged me. Amy Carmichael is by far my absolute favorite author. I read her biography this past summer-- her life is so incredibly inspirational. I especially love the fact that she was a "mother" and that is the legacy she left. She made such an incredible difference just being a loving, spirit-filled, mother!!