1.06.2007

My Morning Buddy


"A sound heart is the life of the flesh; but envy the rottenness of the bones" Proverbs 14:30

AJ is my morning buddy. He is so happy and sweet during that time when the sun is just beginning to come up and the house is quiet. It is just the two of us. He is a great listener, and thinks I am so funny. Right now, I see no light at the end of the sleep-deprivation tunnel, but my morning buddy seems to make that all o.k.
How does a mom get through so many restless nights and action-packed days? Proverbs 14:30 has been my meditation recently. It reminds me that my heart, those inner thoughts and attitudes about being a wife and mom, are connected to the "life of my flesh"! The ever-present temptation to envy those "easier" times in the past (remember the days of sleeping in on Saturdays or going shopping on a whim-- uncumbered by baby carriers and strollers?) is rottenness of the bones. Try chipping away at your to-do list with that handicap! So, when I stumble into the nursery to meet my morning buddy, I might be tired, but my heart is rested knowing that this is God's good and acceptable and perfect will for my life. I am so blessed!!

8 comments:

Jenny said...

what a blessing you are! thanks for sharing!!!

S said...

good thoughts! Thanks for the encouragement and God-focus.

Erin Neiner said...

Ahhhh...those days of sleeping in until 9am...where have they gone! Thanks for the reminder of that wonderful verse!!! It will come in handy for me I know! One middle of the night feeding a couple weeks ago I truly did not feel like I had it in me to drag myself out of bed. As I rolled over I tried to argue with my mothering instincts that maybe Jack would stop crying and fall back asleep for a bit. But alas, the clock showed it was certainly time for another feeding. I would have dragged myself out of the bed but no doubt with a horrible attitude that mirrored my sleep deprived body. But the Lord layed "I can do ALL things through Christ which strengtheneth me" on my heart and instantly I knew I needed Him for this ordinary circumstance. How many times I have repeated that verse when someone has said, "I can't do it" and here it was the switch of my bitter envy of more ZZzz's I'd be missing to another opportunity to nourish my beloved Jack. And my spirit was strengthened from the Word of God...such a little thing, such a big difference!!!

Unknown said...

SO Reverened Leah;) What's a single gal that doesn't have kids to do when she has many sleep-less nights? :) Oh my dear...I have been SO homesick lately! I miss you and Alex SOOO very much out here! I feel all alone at times, espcially since Chad went nutso again last month and he leaves next week. Irene is still "my rock":) There to listen no matter what...next to mama that is! Write me soon...I'd love to chat! Love ya girl!

Ken & Jen Schmidt said...

Leah!

I am so excited to find you in the blogging world! It's been so fun getting back in touch with friends! Married life is wonderful - Ken and I have so much fun, and it's amazing to have someone who you can laugh, cry, share everything with and he loves me in spite of it all! I'm so thankful!
By the way - I love this post, too!
Jen

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Dana! Dana! Alex and I will be praying that you will be filled with the knowledge of His will! We love you!

Beth said...

You always know how to perfectly say those things we all feel! Thanks for your post and know there are more of us out there with the name "mommy" who feel your pain and know your joy all rolled into one bundle! In only 9 1/2 weeks I'll be right back there again at the "I can't even think I'm so tired" stage. I just don't understand how your have time to keep blogging!

Ben and Carissa said...

Leah, I can't tell you how much I needed to read your blog today!! I feel so encouraged to know I am not the only mommy feeling like going shopping. The Lord is so good to give us friends to remind and sharpen us. Thank you!!