12.26.2006

Feliz Navidad!

There's nothing like spending the Holidays surrounded by those you love. Olivia is waking up with her morning joe and some furry friends.Thanks for the bake set grandma!!
Even though our family is very young, traditions have to start somewhere! This year, we invited all the folks from our Spanish ministry over for Christmas dinner. I made a HUGE pot of pozole and bread pudding. Pozole is a Mexican soup that is very simple but comforting and delicious. The soup consists of broth, chicken, and hominy, but then you serve it with shredded lettuce, chopped onion, cilantro, oregano, red chile sauce, avocado, lime, radishes, and tortilla chips. It is a delicious combination of spicy and tangy, hot and cool, and soft and crunchy. The bread pudding was the traditional American touch I had to squeeze in there.
Olivia had fun all day. She was all over the place! People were handing her cookies left and right. When I looked at her chocolate covered face, sticky hair, and stained shirt, I had to laugh because she reminded me of Templeton the rat in Charlottes Web when he went to the fair.

God has given us a tremendous opportunity here in Charleston. We are able to minister to people from Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Cuba, Columbia, Equador, and Puerto Rico all in this one city in the southeast! Praise His Name!We pulled out Catch Phrase later on that evening. That was interesting! The game is in English, so Alex started off by going around the room and whispering the word in the person's ear in Spanish. After one very unsuccessful and confusing round, we changed the game to where Alex described all the words and the teams got points for each one they guessed. We were all laughing, and I even guessed a few myself :)

3 comments:

Erin Neiner said...

How Great, Leah! What a great hostess you are! Sounds like you had a fun-filled day! Thanks for the call today! Your house looks so nice!!! Happy New Year!

Beth said...

That's great! Catch Phrase with Spanish speaking people! I can imagine that was funny, or puzzling... I'm sure you were the perfect hostess! I agree, your house looks very nice. I wish I could visit! So, is Olivia fluent in 2 languages? :)

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Olivia speaks um... we don't really know what she speaks yet :) Catch phrase was so funny. They didn't understand the idea of describing the word. When each person's turn came, they just said "ummmm.. yo quiero (I want) .." and nothing else! The word could have been anything! It was so funny!