12.17.2007



Burning Still

The following is an excerpt from Edges of His Ways by Amy Carmichael. I hope that it is an encouragement to you as it was to me this morning!

"She hath neither rusted out, nor burned out. She is burning still." I read that in an Australian magazine and I prayed that it might be true of each one of us. We want most earnestly not to rust out, we would gladly be burned out, but till that day comes, the Lord keep us "burning still."

Perhaps some of us are sorely tempted to think that just now there is not much that is "burning" about our lives. Some are ill, some have duties of a very simple sort-- where does the burning come in? Where did it come in when John the Baptist was shut up in prison? He could not do anything but just endure, and not be offended, and not doubt his Lord's love. But when our Lord Jesus spoke of him, He said he was burning and shining-- "a burning and a shining light".

It is not the place where we are, or the work that we do or cannot do, that matters, it is something else. It is the fire within that burns and shines, whatever be our circumstances.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dearest girl,
You never cease to amaze me with the wisdom that is displayed in the words you use and therewith inspire me ( and others, no doubt). Your children are truly blessed to have such a wise mother and I thank God for you each day!
With love,
Grandma

Erin Neiner said...

Hmmm...thanks.

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?