9.11.2007

Sick Little AJ

The Creepy Croup

AJ was up last night with what I thought was a very bad case of congestion. I consider myself to be pretty reasonable when it comes to the kiddos getting sick, but AJ's breathing had me worried. I couldn't sleep. I stayed up as late as I could and checked on him, and then I got up in the middle of the night to check on him again. When I crawled back into bed, I was genuinely frightened that something bad would happen while I slept. Psalm 121:4 kept racing through my mind. "Lord, you never slumber or sleep... please watch over AJ while I do" was my prayer last night.
=
Today, I took him to the doctor. Of course, AJ was a perfect little happy baby that showed no signs of being sick (has that ever happened to you?). The doctor listened to his chest and heard nothing. He didn't even have a fever. I was told that my child just has a bad cold. This was still unsettling to hear because I knew how AJ sounded the night before, but he simply wasn't giving the doctor any symptoms to work with at that time! We decided to knock off a few immunizations while I was there so that the trip wasn't a total loss-- not that you WANT something to be wrong with your child just to make the doctor's visit worthwhile... you know what I mean. While his doctor was writing up the order, AJ coughed the most horrible cough of them all. "Atta boy AJ!! Show them your mamma isn't a crazy overreactor after all!" The doctor looked wide eyed at his assistant and said, "Ooooh that's the croup" and then cancelled the immunization order.
=
So... little AJ is on steriods right now and sleeping peacefully with a cloud of water vapor wafting above his bed. If you need me, I'll be camping out with AJ in his room tonight.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

So sorry AJ is sick. I am praying that he gets better quickly.

Taking my kids to the doctor and nothing appearing wrong happens more often then naught. Last fall, Lydia dislocated her elbow. She was screaming for an hour every time someone touched her hand and she wouldn't use it. We took her to the doctor, as she was trying to get off her chair (while we were waiting to see him) she must have popped it back into place because by the time the doctor came in she was my happy little girl again.

S said...

trisha's baby, audrey, just had that when we went to new jersey last weekend. she was really worked up and couldn't breathe, so they had to take her to the er at midnight. they gave her a steroid and breathing treatment. they said it's a virus that's going around. it is so scary to hear them struggle breathing though!

Liesl said...

both elijah and eden have had croup. very scary. glad you got him on sterroids before it progressed! we mothers sure know how to pray!

Karis said...

It's so sad when little ones are sick! Kayla has never had croup, but she has perked up a couple times when I took her to the doctor's. One time, her fever mysteriously disappeared between the house and when the nurse took her temp and she went from whiny and unsettled at home making me wonder if she had an ear infection or something to perfectly content (she loves to get out of the house and go...). They probably wrote first time mom on my charts, but I'm not one to run to the doctor over every little thing...

Unknown said...

Oh dear...give my little precious a hug from Auntie! I'll be praying...pray for me too while you burn the midnight oil friend:) I'm looking for a job - and Kelly doesn't have anything right now. Have two interviews today and one next Monday. Will keep you posted. Love ya Girl!

Erin Neiner said...

:( :( :( :( :(

hope aj pulls through soon!
so glad that cough came out at the end!! perfect timing, little buddy!

Heather said...

Oh, that has so happened to me and know exactly what you are talking about...when you take the kids to the doctor and they seem totally fine. At least he gave up that cough so the doctor could hear it. I hope you get some sleep tonight.