5.14.2007

Mother's Day Recap

Mother's Day 2005: I sat on the couch recovering from a C-section, sobbing through those heart-wrenching Mother's Day specials and holding my newborn.

Mother's Day 2006: I was treated to a delicious lunch at Black Angus Steakhouse. mmmmmm... and Olivia was on her very best behavior.

Mother's Day 2007: I was up until 3:00 a.m. with a feverish restless infant. Up again at 6:30 to make final preparations for the big Mother's Day luncheon for the Spanish ministry. Since I thought that AJ was just going through a yucky teething thing, he came to church with me, but stayed with me. Thankfully, a few kind ladies saw this poor mamma trying to fill fruit cups, set out silverware, etc. while holding a sick baby and helped get everything set-up. God provides! I slipped into the service to sing, and slipped back out again to finish up in the kitchen. AJ was not getting any better. His fever was now beyond a "teething" fever. On my way home, I was pulled over for going 42 in a 30. Uggghh! I have never been pulled over in my life. I just gave the officer everything in my glove box because I didn't know what the registration was. It was a horrible experience...how much is this going to cost... I'm going to have to tell my husband....all the people staring at the dummy pulled over on the side of the road....then the lecture about how I need to drive more slowly especially with the little ones in the back...... I already felt like a horrible mother for dragging my sick baby to church, and I just wanted to cry. As I waited for the officer to return, I looked down and my gas-light was on. I don't know how long it had been on, and that made me nervous. The officer returned and, thankfully, I was given a warning. Whew! After a quick stop at the gas-station, I took Olivia home and took AJ to the emergency room. An ear infection, not teething was the source of his woes. As soon as I got home, Alex had to get to the evening service. Just when I thought that the day's drama was pretty much over, AJ was stinky. I would normally use the changing table, but the diaper and wipes were right there, so I changed him there on the living room floor. Olivia came over with her little bowl of goldfish crackers and sat down next to her brother. As I was cleaning AJ's bottom, I listened to Olivia repeat over and over "EAt AJ, EAt". I wasn't paying any attention to what she was saying, until I looked at her goldfish crackers, then looked in AJ's mouth and there was a goldfish in his mouth! Olivia was telling him to EAt while putting the cracker in his mouth! Before I could get it out, AJ started choking and turned red. I had no choice but to turn his still very very poopy body over and do the baby heimlich (sp?). Out popped the goldfish, and the only damage was a smattering of poop on AJ, mommy, and the carpet. My dear husband came home and handed me a tall hot Hazelnut Latte, and we laughed together about my terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad, Mother's Day :) Honestly, the best gift of the day was having a sick little one. As I sat rocking him at 2:00 that morning and felt his warm little head nestled between my neck and my shoulder, I thought of how blessed I am. I sat there and thought of how no thing or experience could ever compare to what Olivia and AJ bring into my life. I sure do love being a mamma!

My Sweet Little Man


Olivia and Mommy


The Mother's Day Luncheon


A beautiful pink annual was given to each mother. Each plant sits in a trimmed white luch sack that has been dressed up with a little ribbon woven around the edge. Cute, somewhat easy, and inexpensive!

11 comments:

Janelle said...

Wow, Leah, you have a heart of gold and steal! Praise God you even made it through yesterday! Sounds like you were draped in His grace through each minute of a day like that! Hope AJ feels better SOON!

Erin Neiner said...

A memorial day, for sure! But maybe don't make that one traditional! These days will go under your "tough hide" chapter for sure. Adorable flower bags!! Food lucks delic!

S said...

what a day! i'm glad the police officer gave you a break. it's great that you were able to laugh about it at the end of the day too.

Rebecca M. said...

Wow...and I thought I had a not so great mother's day. I guess it has been proven to me once again not to be so selfish. There is always someone who is having a more difficult day. I will be praying that AJ gets better soon. And thank you for your Christ like attitude Leah!

Karis said...

What a day! I had to laugh about the part where you didn't know which paper was the registration because that happened to me several years ago. I got pulled over and when I was asked if I knew why I had been pulled over, I said no. When the officer said I was speeding, my heart sunk. I started looking in the glove compartment for the registration when he asked for it, and I just gave him a whole envelope of papers and told him I was sorry but this was my first experience with this and I was very upset and nervous. I ended up getting a lecture and a warning which was wonderful because although I cried, it didn't cost any money. I'm so glad you got a warning too!

Beth Ann Johns said...

Only you, Leah! What a memorable Mother's Day. I'm so proud of you with everything you are doing with the Spanish ministry the Lord has given you all.
BA

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Thanks y'all for laughing with me :) Love you guys! Leah

Heather said...

What a Mothers Day you had!! We wouldn't be able to celebrate mothers day if we didn't have days like that one.

Monica said...

You brought tears to my eyes. What a complete mother-like experience on your day. You are an amazing woman. What a great example of longsuffering! You are SO right.....these are the memories you will cherish forever if not use for ammunition later :)

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Yes Monica! I'm sure many mother's days will be a blur, but not this one!

Candi said...

I'm behind on my reading, Leah, but your post about motherhood brought tears to my eyes. These days I remember those very bad not good days with disbelief that they passed by so quickly. I'm so glad you were able to focus on the humor, the joy of a sweet sister who will share her crackers with her baby brother, & the contentment of a little one nestled on your shoulder. Enjoy every minute - it's gone before you know it!