1.24.2007

AJ's Room and Story

In the hustle and bustle of moving, having a baby, hubby getting ordained, Thanksgiving, Christmas, learning Spanish, feeding clothing and nurturing Olivia, and New Year's I failed to post AJ's birth story.

Olivia came into this world via C-section because she was breech, and therefore we faced the decision with AJ-- another C-section or VBAC. When my OB welcomed me back the second time around, she explained to me the risks of having a VBAC. Since C-sections carry their own number of risks, and Olivia was a C-baby simply because of her breech position, we decided to go for the VBAC. My OB here was supportive of that decision, but we agreed that if I din't go into labor by my due date then we would proceed with another C-section (patossin (sp?) is a no no if you've had a previous c-section- so being induced was out of the question).

I was 3cm and 90% by the time I started my weekly appointments. On Friday, October 13th, I went out to pick out fabric to re-cover the cushions on AJ's rocking chair. That was something I had to do before the baby came, and that day I felt like I really needed to get that done. Looking back, I spent that whole day getting ready for the baby as if I were to go into labor that night. I did go into labor that night. It started that evening with a few contractions. Alex was sleeping, and I was sitting up finishing off the last few pages of Baby Wise. The contractions quickly went from "oh- a contraction" to "OOOOH -a contraction!" I started timing them at about 10:30 p.m. They were about 10 minutes apart, so I called my mom. She said that I should call the doctor. Alex was still sleeping. I called the doctor, and he said to wait until the contractions were 3 minutes apart and lasted for about a minute. Well, 8 minutes later they dropped down to 4 minutes apart. I went upstairs and woke up my husband while I was getting my bags together. He apparently did not sense the earnestness in my voice when I said "Honey I think that I need to go in tonight-- should I call ....". He nodded his head and rolled back over. I called a family friend and made arrangements for Olivia. I hung up the phone and threatened to drive myself to the hospital. Alex suddenly perked up. By the time our friends arrived, we were both standing at the door with the suitcases in hand. We headed off to the hospital. The contractions were still about 4 minutes apart, and I called the doctor while we were on our way. I was excited, and I know that I sounded a little more chipper than a woman about to give birth should sound while talking to the doctor, so I imagined that he probably thought he was dealing with an over-reacting rookie. He told me that I could go ahead and come in if it made me feel any better. Great! Because we were pulling into the parking lot. Now, Alex and I had never been to this hospital, never taken a tour, and never taken a class. So, we drove up to what we thought should be the entrance. The door was locked and there was a handwritten note on the side that said "push button and security will come and unlock the door". We pushed the button and waited and waited and waited. No security. We started walking around to see if there might be another door we should go through, but I was really hurting and could hardly walk anymore. I thought "oh great- I'm going to have the baby right outside the hospital". Finally a cleaning lady saw us and opened the door. It was about 12:30a.m. when I was settled into my room and already 7 cm. I told the nurse that I wanted to go ahead and sign up for an epidural. I wasn't looking to win any metals that night, so I unashamedly asked for any pain meds they could give me as I waited for the anesthesiologist to arrive. She gave me something that took the edge off the pain, but made me a little loopy too. She was such a great nurse. The epidural arrived around 2:30 a.m. and when all was said and done, I couldn't feel a thing-- on one side of my body! Great. It would be my luck for the epidural to only work on one side. The nurse propped me on my side for a few minutes, and the epidural worked its magic :) After that we waited and rested for a few hours. At 5 a.m. we were ready to go. 30 minutes later, AJ was born. TaDa! Everything went so smoothly (except for my eyes swelling up the next day because I sort of forgot to mention I was allergic to naproxin)! When I saw my beautiful baby boy and his head full of black hair-- it was love at first sight.

Now here is his room. It is still a little plain, but this is about as far as we are going to get for now. He seems to like it!

We bought this rocking chair for $10.00 at a rummage sale. It was dark brown and the cushions were orange. Yummy! Alex spray-painted it with Fusion spray paint, and it looks beautiful. Grandma made the cushion covers.




I still need to hang curtains in there, but I can't find red,1/4" gingham 100%cotton material.

13 comments:

S said...

Thanks for sharing! Praise the Lord everything went so smoothly for you. Was the recovery a lot easier?

Erin Neiner said...

It still excites me to remember how the Lord worked everything out for you!! I remember the big smile I had on my face as the tears that filled my eyes when I heard your groggy voice on my answering machine proclaiming the birth of AJ and through a VBAC!!!

I LOVE the room...the colors, the bedding, and especially the verse!! It looks like your handwriting...did you do it...would love to hear the particulars!! The room looks GREAT...it looks like the little nook was perfectly made for a crib!!! :)

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Shannon- the recovery was SO much better! I ate a full breakfast an hour after having the baby as opposed to feasting on broth for the first couple of meals. I was also up and walking around that day without a problem. That was so nice because Alex was away taking care of Olivia and I couldn't count on him to bring me the baby.

Erin- AJ's room was practically given to us. Even the paint was purchased with a Home Depot Gift card :) I have always thought that primary colors for a baby's room was a little obnoxious, but the Pottery Barn quilt gave me the inspiration to do primary colors-- but to vary the value of each color. Deep red, medium blue, pale green, and medium yellow seemed to work well together. I started with the dresser (K-mart) and then found the swatch of paint that matched it exactly and then chose the color 2 or 3 shades lighter for the wall-color. The bed was given to us by the teachers in the school here. Instead of going with the Pottery Barn sheets, I registered for the red gingham ones at Babies R Us. Hmmmmm.. the lamp was an ugly brass one that I painted and replaced the shade with one on a lamp we weren't using. Oh yeah-- and I did paint the verse on the wall. I wrote it with chalk (it wiped off the eggshell finish easily if you make a mistake) and then painted over it. I will probably be touching it up until the day AJ goes to college because the blue shows through the white a little. I love that verse too!

Stephanie (Wolynes) Steinbart said...

Hey Girl!
I LOVE AJ's room! The blue is perfect, very deep and full, but not too bright. His bedding looks adorable and whoever gave you that fabulous picture frame on the shelf must have great taste!
I'll keep my eyes out for some red gingham panels...what length do you want? And how many panels? Canon has red gingham panels that I found as a catalog return for $9.99! So maybe I can work some magic for you too!
Talk to you later,
Steph

Erin Neiner said...

Yes...I was just thinking our friend Stephanie must be rubbing off with her pottery barn style! :)

Beth said...

It takes being a mom to really appreciate a birth story- doesn't it? It's always awesome to hear! The room looks great. It was fun to pour over the pictures! Awesome job! Now I want to see Olivia's. :) Mark (my little bro.) and Anne (Zimmerman) had their first baby (boy- Titus) in Nov. He too has that Pottery Barn bumper. They used green on the walls. You can see pics at www.markandanneb.blogspot.com Anna Beers used red and blue in Mo's room. Her blog is 6packb.blogspot

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Stephanie- I must say that Canon's room in Atlanta was my inspiration to go with blue walls. We still have a can of blue paint in the garage that was intended to be the darker stripe. Oh well-- sally sanguine here never was a great finisher. I am looking for 83" panels (ones that go to the floor), and I'd need four. If you found some for close to that price-- you'd be my hero!

Beth-- I love birth stories! Before I had Olivia, those baby story shows made me cringe-- I couldn't watch them. Now if I watch them, I sit there and get so sentimental about it! I'll post pictures of Olivia's room as soon as I figure out what I'm doing with it. It's a hodge podge right now, but I found some great vintage japanese fabric the other week that was sooo cute-- I want her room to be a little more "her". I'm also trying to keep on the neutral side in case (in the not near future) she and AJ may need to share a room.

Tfipps said...

Love the room. We're trying to pick out colors, etc. for our BOY's room...never had to do that before! I'm thinking the blues and browns...a very mod look!
As to your question regarding getting the girls to memorize verses, we do it every night after our family devotions. After we talk about our Proverb for the evening, we all quote the section of Scripture many times with the and motions. Then, after about a week or so, when we feel like they know that section well enough, we add on to it. It has been amazing to see how fast they learn verses! Especially Madeline....I guess at the beginning I thought we were mainly doing it for Maggie (oh ye of little faith), but Madeline is picking it up just as fast! I also try to review it in the mornings after our morning devotions. I got this great book to read to them every morning. It is called "Right Choices."

mitchells2000 said...

Leah - I love it that you painted the verse on the wall. It looks awesome, and I'm sure it will be a good reminder to AJ as he grows up, as well as to you every time you see it.

carissa said...

I love his room! Did you paint that verse yourself? I need to know details about how you did that. I'm very interested...so is Brent's aunt!!

Unknown said...

Hey my dear friend! I JUST finally got time to sit and read your story n' all. What an exciting time. I'll never forget when I got the VM from Alex when Olivia was born...there I was, just listening to my VM during a congregational song on Sunday Morning:) And once I heard the words "birth, Olivia Faith"...no offence Pastor, but I had somewhere important to be:) I wish I could have been there for AJ too. Well, one day maybe AJ will meet his distant Auntie:) lol BTW, when you guys gonna come visit PHX?? I miss you:(

I LOVE AJ's room! It turned out SOO cute! Everyday I see pics of him, I just love him a little more! He looks like such a HAPPY boy!! The pics of him and Olivia are truly funny...she really IS unsure of him:) lol Well, lil princess has a prince to share the throne with:) LOL

Well, it's late for me and I am in desperate need of rest and sleep. We need to hat soon friend...I miss you and big brother Alex lots! (Chad is doing very well in Kuwait:) He has found a Bible Study led by an Independent Fundamental Baptist:) and his roomie is a baby Christian, but leaves there today:( I'm just praying his replacement isn't a psycho or anything:)
ttyl, Love ya girl! Give the kids my love, Alex too!
~Dana

Jenny said...

YAY I love hearing a successful VBAC story (we are hoping and praying for this for our "next time")

I love your nursery - it's beautiful. And if you lived next door, I'd bring over the gingham. I think I have a couple yards in my collection.

the johnson crew said...

dear leah,

i love how your nursery turned out. i love the blue walls with the bright white trim.

we have blue walls in our "nursery" but it looks more like a dormatory for a baby factory than a nursery!

your baby story sounds beautiful (and funny) to me and i haven't even experienced the honor of birthing one of my own. maybe someday if God wills.

children are such a blessing. you sound like such a good mommy!

janelle