7.15.2006

Camp Grandma

I can barely write the title of this without feeling a big lump in my throat! This morning, I waved goodbye as my little "Tookers" was wisked away for 2 weeks of "Camp Grandma". My mom and two sisters were here visiting this past week. We moved into a new apartment yesterday, and so it was suggested to me that perhaps it would be helpful for all if mom took Olivia back to Alabama with her so that I can get settled in our new place. I cried as I said goodbye (all the while trying to avoid the "ugly cry"), and I was fine for the next few hours UNTIL I went to put my makeup on. When I put my makeup on, I hand the bag to Olivia and she takes it and plops down in front of the mirror. She sits there on my lap and rummages through my bag of goodies. She plays with the blush brush, and hands me things. She will take the lipstick and "put some on" me and then her (of course, she doesn't know to take the lid off yet). Olivia is going to have a great time at "Camp Grandma". She has her two aunties and Papa Dan and Papa and GG (great grandma)-- not to mention she will get to see her big strong uncle Jon and his "friend" Gina. I will have a great chance to set up everything in our apartment, and actually go on a date or two with the wonderful man I married. So what "mamma lesson" have I already gleaned from this experience? Give me the all the work all the frustrations, all the early mornings, all the embarrasing moments, all the headaches, all the insecurities, all those things that come with babies-- Just so long as I have the little "make-up moments". Little Olivia is a precious precious sweet gift to our family. We can't wait to get her back :)

6 comments:

Heather said...

Enjoy your time getting settled and if you get a chance go on those dates with your hubby!!

Just 6 months ago was the first time that I left Victoria and Logan at Grandpa's. I was so nervous and thought I would never survive. It was so odd to go to bed and not go through our little routine that we do each night (potty time, kisses, hugs, prayers and much more)

It is amazing how children change our lives, isn't it?

Once again...enjoy your time!

S said...

That's so funny, I was just talking to KT Bruno today and she was saying the same thing about when she left Luke while they were in Scotland. I haven't had the experience of leaving Esther, yet, since I'm her source of food. :) But in a small way, I look forward to bedtime and miss her all at once. Enjoy the time with your husband before baby #2 comes.

Leah (Parrish) Millan said...

Thanks Shannon and Heather! Looking on the bright side of things--It's like Alex and I are on our honeymoon again (only I am 6 months pregnant and we don't have any spending money) :)

Christina said...

I talked to my mom and she said she say little Olivia with Grandma and they looked like they were having a good time. I hope you and Alex enjoyed your second "honeymoon" :-)

Tracy said...

That's great that your mom is able to take Olivia for you. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a week with just JA again (Kara is now 2-1/2 and Lydia is 1). Enjoy your time. By the way, Congratulations on the coming little boy!

Tfipps said...

Okay..I am a little confused as to which blog to comment on since you have TWO!! I can hardly keep up with updating one. Well, I am so happy to know you are in Charleston now. Did you know that Rob went to high school at Northside? Just ask anyone there, he is infamous from his high school days. Maybe we can see you guys sometime when we're down there. And now, the Johns won't be far from you either. That's great!